Blueberries have always been a part of West Michigan. Residents would pick wild blueberries in the woods and marshes along the lakeshore. In the early 1900’s an effort was made to cultivate and grow blueberries commercially. Research was done to find wild varieties of Michigan blueberries and propagate new varieties that would satisfy the consumers desire for this delicious fruit.
The first commercial blueberry plants were planted in the 1940’s. The growth of the industry was slow due to the need of large numbers of workers to harvest the fruit by hand. That all changed in 1968 when Mr. Harvey, of Grand Haven, invented and patented the mechanical harvester.